The following are other websites that may be of interest….
- Request for a phyto-sanitary inspection: The inspection area has changed and Burnaby office is now doing the Delta run. If people could fill out the 3369 form on the CFIA website at link: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/
about-the-cfia/forms-and-and send it to burnabyplanthealth@inspection. publications/forms-catalogue/ form-cfia-acia-3369/eng/ 1445601295813/1445601296610 gc.ca. One of the inspectors there will be in touch to arrange the inspection. If the form causes problems or there are questions, people can call the Burnaby office at 604 292 5640 and an inspector will get back to them.
- Identifying Harmful Weeds in Your Garden: https://www.angieslist.com/
articles/identifying-harmful-/ A site that has photos and descriptions of a large variety of weeds weeds-your-garden.htm
Lessen Your Footprint by Learning to Compost: https://blog.avasflowers.net/
learning-to-compostProvides information on how to start a compost
- A Homeowner’s Guide to Composting: www.austinrealestate.com/
homeowners-guide-to-A detailed guide to composting, including worm composting composting.php
- Dave’s Garden: http://davesgarden.com/ A handy site for looking up plant information, comments from growers, and lists of vendors who carry particular plants: Note that ownership of Dave’s Garden has changed & it appears that this site is no longer updated.
- Information on perennials: http://www.perennials.com/index.html
- APHIS manual: Search before you buy: A searchable list of plants that are prohibited from import from Canada into Point Roberts
- West Coast Seeds: http://www.westcoastseeds.com/
Ladner business that can precertify their seeds for import into Point Roberts. Also sells seed starting supplies
Whatcom County Noxious Weed Control Board: http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/
publicworks/weeds/index.jspUseful information on identifying and controlling noxious and invasive weeds.
- Phoenix Perennials: http://www.phoenixperennials.
com/Richmond nursery that offers a wonderful selection of unusual perennials; will arrange for a phyto-sanitary inspection
- Gardeners Supply Company: http://www.gardeners.com/ US-based company that offers raised bed supplies, seed starting equipment, and a wide variety of other gardening supplies
- Gardens Alive: http://www.gardensalive.com/ An environmentally-responsible source of natural pest control products and specialty fertilizers
- Annie’s Annuals dry shade guide: http://www.anniesannuals.com/
special_pgs/eblasts/110310/A list of plants for dry shade, assembled by a California nursery. email-web.htm
- Improve Your Home Garden: Beginner’s Guide to Earthworms: http://www.improvenet.com/a/beginners-guide-to-earthworms There is some excellent information on earthworms and soil
- Toadshade Wildflower Farm: This is a commercial site, but they say the following: “With over 700,000 plants in our peer-reviewed database and thousands of articles, Since 1971, the mission of the NGA has been to educate, inspire and encourage gardeners.” http://www.toadshade.com/
- Weed Eater Hero: Blog with reviews of various weedeaters to help you choose what is best for you: http://www.weedeaterhero.com/